Books, Book, Books!!!

Yesterday was World Book Night .   A few months ago, I applied to be a giver for WBN.  They were looking for givers in every city around the world!  I had to write a short paragraph about why I wanted to be a giver and how books could help my community.  Well if you know me, you know that reading is one of my biggest passions.  Growing up, I always had a book in hand and was usually reading two or three at once.  I think I read a book a day throughout high school!

So when this opportunity came along, to be able to put books into the hands of everyone around me, I knew I couldn't pass it up.  I filled out the application and found out in February that I was chosen to hand out books around Columbia!

When you first apply, you pick your top three books from the list they provide and they try their best to give you one of those books to hand out.  I was give "Little Bee" to give out.  I was so excited to go and pick up my box of books last week!

Yesterday we started the day with "Books and Breakfast" at Julianna's school.  I am not sure if it was a coincidence or not that this fell on World Book Night, but we decided to dedicate the whole day to reading!  Drew and I had breakfast with Julianna while she read us books from her book bin and showed us just how far she has come with her reading.  I seriously cannot believe how much she is reading!  When I worked for Stowe, I would have 2nd graders come and read to me each day as part of their practice.  Unfortunately some of the kiddos there did not have parents that were willing to read with them each night, so they came to me during the school day to get in their practice.  Anyway, I have noticed that some of the books Julianna is reading and bringing home each week are the SAME books that those 2nd graders were reading to me!  She just amazes me and I am SO thankful that she has a passion for reading like I did as a kid.

Drew and I have quickly realized that we can no longer spell out words we don't want her to hear.  She knows exactly what we are saying and talking about now!  :)

Anyway, after we were done at Julianna's school and I had passed out a few books, I headed to the local convenience store for my morning Diet Coke.  I grabbed a few books to hand out to the people who worked there and a couple of extras just in case there were some other customers.  There were.  One was an elderly woman who I have seen around Columbia a few times.  I could tell that she has had better days.  I presented her with the book and told her why I was handing them out and with tears in her eyes she told me that she hardly ever has a chance to get to the library anymore and never has money for a new book.  I told that I was so glad that I was able to give her one today.  She took the book, opened it up, smelled the pages, patted my arm, said "God Bless you my child" and walked away with her treasure.  It was seriously one of the best moments I have had in a long time.  Makes me tear up just thinking about it!

After school I picked up Julianna and she asked "are we going to pass out more books?!?"  So we headed to my Aunt's house to give her one, gave them to a couple more strangers and to a couple of friends!

It was such a great day and such a neat thing to do with Julianna.  I can't wait to be a part of it next year.  As I posted about it throughout the day on Facebook, others wanted to get involved next year too, so I am hoping more and more learn about World Book Night and choose to be a part of it every year!  



 My amazing little helper!

Comments

Popular Posts