Like I said below, on Sunday we came home to our house smelling like gas. We had Mid-American out to check it. They found the leak, turned it off and we called someone to come out on Monday and fix the leak. They claimed they did, so we went about our business.
On Wednesday morning, we wake up to find Cupcake (Julianna's precious fish) d.e.a.d. in his bowl. :( At first we didn't think much of it - just thought fish die unexpectedly all the time, but Drew got to thinking and asked me if I thought he might have died because of the exposure to natural gas from the leak. The more we thought about it, the more we thought we better have Mid-Am come back out to check to see if the gas leak was in fact fixed........IT WAS'NT. It was worse than before. We had the same people back out to fix it two more times and each time they kept making it worse. Finally my husband found someone else and they are coming today to fix it. Hoping it is done correctly and we can finally have hot water again!
But in the end, we are fairly certain Cupcake saved our lives. We wouldn't have had them back out the check the leak if he hadn't died. Jules was SO upset and devastated by his death. So much so that she doesn't want another fish because she is afraid of it dying too. So, Drew now wants to get her a dog. :) We will see what happens with that. We all had a good cry over his death, but also over the fact that it could have been so much worse. So Rest peacefully Cupcake, but know that you always have a place in our hearts because you very well could have saved our lives.