Post-Op(s)

Well what a couple of weeks it has been.  If you aren't friends with me on Facebook, then you probably wonder what the heck I am talking about.  I am talking about surgeries.  Two of them.  Last week.  Oh yeah, when we do something, we do it the craziest way possible. 

Last Tuesday Julianna had surgery on her heart.  Over the past 2 years she has had issues with her heart racing and beating at times up to 220 beats per minute  Scary for us, scary for her teachers and especially scary for her.  We met with a surgeon in April and he informed us that she had a condition called SVT and advised us that surgery was the best option to take care of the problem.  Thankfully once her problem was corrected it should never come back again.  This surgeon (who happens to be one of the most amazing people we have ever met) also is from Iowa City, so we had to travel there for the surgery. 

I can't even beging to explain how wonderful everyone we came in contact with there was.  I tear up just thinking about it.  We have never been in better hands.  Any of us.  The care and compassion they showed Drew, Jules and I can't even be described.  No one wants to watch their child go through any type of surgery and they understood that and did everything they could to comfort us, reassure us and make sure we fully understood everything that would be happening.  Amazing.  The only word I can use to describe it. 

Julianna went in for testing on Monday, had surgery on Tuesday and we were home by Wednesday.  It was unbelievable.  She was so wonderful through the whole thing.  Listened to everything the Dr's asked and did everything she was suppose to.  I know I say it quite often, but our child is absolutely amazing.  We are just so blessed. 

So once we got Jules home and settled, Drew and I got up at the lovely hour of 4 a.m. the next day so he could have hernia surgery!  Oh yes, what fun.  He has had a hernia for a few months, but did something to it the weekend before Julianna's surgery that put it over the edge.  Poor guy.  He was in so much pain and suffered a bit while we got through Jules' surgery.  But our Dr. advised us that he would be in NO condition to help me or help her if he had the surgery before hers. 

His surgery went well, however they had to cut him open to repair the hernia instead of using a scope.  So his recovery time is going to be a little longer than we expected.  He is doing well and I have taken on the role as nurse.  My cousin is getting married on July 9th and Drew is preparing the Rehearsal Dinner, so he needs to be well and rested by then! 

Both of my patients are doing SO much better this week and it was actually a great week of just being together as a family.  However, I am SO grateful it is over with.  Now if we can just keep me healthy for the rest of the summer we will be good to go!  :) 

Thank you to everyone who helped us so much last week.  Parents/sister who came to the hospital, parents who gave us gift cards for food and extra cash, Grandparents who gave us extra cash to help with the hotel bill, friends who brought cards, coloring books, dinner, dessert and for everyone who prayed for us and with us.  We are so blessed to have such amazing friends and family.  I could have NEVER gone through last week without any of you.  I love you all! 

Comments

Popular Posts