Friday, June 11, 2010

6 years and a Kiss of a Lifetime!

Last weekend Drew and I celebrated our 6-year wedding annivesary. We are two very blessed people. To have found each other the way we did and to still have a strong, thriving, love filled marriage 6 years later. He still takes my breath away and still makes me feel like the love of his life everyday. I am so happy to have Drew has my husband.

When I think back to our wedding day, it fills me with such joy and laughter. What a day it was! If you know anything about me, you know that nothing really ever goes according the plan and things are always crazy and hectic. I wanted my wedding day to be different. Everything ready and in its place. Mmm hmm... that did NOT happen.

The night before the wedding I momentarily freaked out at our rehearsal dinner - sorry mom - I was stressed to the max and felt like I still had about a million things to do. It was just crazy. But Drew settled me down and we figured everything out.

That night Mary and I checked into our hotel room - Drew had booked us a suite at Comfort Suites in Urbandale, just down the street from where I was getting my hair done at 7 the next morning. I had planned an evening filled with relaxation and girl talk with my sisters, friends and Mary. The second we stepped into our room, I knew it was going to be a miserable night. They had given us a smoking room. I immediately asked for a new room, only to be told that they were sold out for the night. Ugh! I thought I could just endure it. Not so much. Within an hour I was wheezing and not doing well at all. I mean I was trying to breathe through a wet wachcloth on my face - just how I pictured my last evening before marriage! :) I looked over at Mary and she was just as miserable. Red and itchy eyes and not doing good at all. By that time it was past 2 in the morning and I knew that it was going to be a miserable day if we didn't get some sleep. So we woke up my sister Lauren - in her own smoke filled room and borrowed her car keys (since I didn't have my car) and headed to Drew's house CLEAR on the southside. When we got there he had Mary's bed all ready for us and tucked us both in. :)

So the night before my wedding, I got about 4 hours of sleep, then we were up and out the door, back to Urbandale for my 7 a.m. hair appt. I could barely keep my head up as she did my hair and then as I had my make-up done. But once we got in the car and headed to the church - Lauren turned up the tunes and we all started singing "Goin' to the Chapel and we're gonna get married" - just what I needed! Perked me right up and I was ready for one of the BEST days of my life!

Once we got to the church, I got into my dress and met Drew at the alter before we started taking pictures. The look on his face when he saw me for the first time is one of my most treasure moments in life. I will never forget that moment. There were tears from both of us. Our day was finally here!

We started taking pictures and trying to get in as many as we could before the ceremony. What fun we had taking pictures! Another treasured moment from that day.

Once guests started arriving, my girls and I retreated to the bridal salon to rest and take it easy for an hour or so before the ceremony. I was just taking in the moments of the day, when I looked around and saw all of my bridesmaids and personal attendants searching for something. They were pulling off couch cushions, looking under chairs, checking their skirts etc. I asked them what they were looking for. "Oh, nothing, don't worry about it". Yeah right. I asked them again. Veronica - one of my personal attendants just gives me a look and I knew what they were looking for.....Drew's wedding ring.

Lauren- my sister and Maid of Honor was holding it on her thumb to give to me during the ceremony and it somehow fell off at some point during all of the picture taking, bathroom breaks, meeting and greeting guests etc. Surprisingly I didn't freak out as much as I thought I would. But I did leave the salon to find Drew. I didn't want him to freak out either. At first I didn't want to tell him what was going on, but he wasn't oblivious to people looking for things or what was written all over my face either. So we started our search. We had people looking up at the altar where we took pictures. People looking outside, people looking in bathrooms. Pretty soon our guests found out what had happened and they were looking too. At one point, I looked out into the sanctuary and I saw guest after guest on their knees looking around on the floor and pulling up the pew cushions looking for the ring. At that point it was quite comical. Again I was trying to not freak out, so I just started smiling about it. Telling myself it would be a great story to tell our kids one day.

It was time to begin the ceremony and we still had no ring. I did start to cry at that point, I mean what was I going to give Drew when we said our vows. His dad came to our rescue and let us "borrow" Drew's ring for the ceremony. Thankfully it was a perfect fit!

The ceremony was beautiful and went perfectly. Courtney sang, Lauren read scripture, I said my vows to Drew, he said his to me. Then I said my vows to Mary. I vowed to love her, honor her and cherish her just like I would her dad and any future children that came along. I could barely make it through the vows. I was crying so much and I think just about everyone that was watching was too. :) After that we were husband and wife! I WAS A WIFE!!! Once we made it down the aisle after being pronounced husband and wife, Drew pulled me aside and gave me the kiss of a lifetime.

I was his and he was mine.

After that we rode around with our bridal party in the limo and then headed to the reception at The Sumemrset Winery in Indianola. But all I could think about was that stinkin' ring. I knew that I was going to be the one to find it. I just wanted to go back to the church and look for it. I was pretty adamant about it too. My dad had to finally straighten me out and tell me that he would go and look for it or we could just buy a new one the next day. He told me that I needed to stay at my own reception out of respect for the people that came to it. :)
Point taken. After that I loosened up and enjoyed every moment of our reception.

It was such a great reception - so much so, that people STILL talk about it - lots of dancing, laughter and fun. My dad did a toast to Drew taht was so sweet, sentimental and funny. His brother did a loving toast to both of us and we danced...and danced. The whole Bush family was there. If you know any of my extended family, you know we can rock a wedding. And that is just what we did!

Around 9:00 that night, I was taking a break and getting something to drink, when Lauren grabs me, pulls me aside and told me to open my hand. In my hand she placed.....DREW'S RING!!! Lets just say that when she went to the bathroom, she heard a small CLANK and there was his ring. It had been in her! Can you even believe that!?! It was amazing!

I went to find Drew and found him in the corner talking with my Grandpa Howard about..the ring. :) I grabbed his hand (I may have got down on one knee too), pulled off his dad's ring (all while he is looking at me like I am a crazed woman) and put on his ring. He couldn't believe it either! It was another treasured moment from that day!

Drew went and told the DJ that the ring was found and he announced it to our guests. They all asked where it was found and he yells out in the microphone for all to hear "In Lauren's underwear!!" It was hilarious and lightened up the whole situation. And like I said before, it all made for a great story to tell for years to come!

We had the reception site until Midnight and we were there until the last possible second. Along with most of our family and friends! It was such a GREAT night!

After the reception, Drew and I headed to our suite at the Comfort Suites and made plans to meet up with more family for breakfast. We were both so exhausted, but completely happy.
It was such a beautiful and wonderful day. And the fact that I married such a wonderful man really was a dream come true.

Happy 6 year Anniversary Drew. I love you babe...more and more each day!

No comments: