Love and Life

I have been thinking a lot this week on love. Reflecting on my wonderful marriage, my children, my family and my friends. I have thought a lot about what has brought me to where I am today and what still lies ahead for me. Heavy stuff I know, but I think it does the soul and the heart good to reflect on what has made you the person you are today.

I was reading through my blog posts from the past few months and I saw that in June I posted about how Drew and I met and then made a comment that I would post about different things that have happened to us on our "anniversaries" of those events.

6 years ago this week Drew proposed to me. It is truly one of my most precious memories. There was no big fanfare (though he wanted the fanfare, he knew that just wasn't me) it was just simple, beautiful and perefectly wonderful! Drew proposed on a Tuesday, the day after Labor Day. I was still working at the Olive Garden part-time and was working there that particular Tuesday night. I called Drew during my shift to tell him goodnight as I knew he had to be to work early the next morning. He told me he loved me and would talk to me the next day. I thought that was it for the night.

When I got home that night, I saw that his car was in the parking lot of my apt. complex. I was a little confused, but didn't think anything of it - he had a key to my apt. and I had my own washer and dryer in my apt so I just assumed he came over to do a last minute load of laundry. To be honest, I was just excited to see him. As I was walking up the stairs to my apt (I lived on the 3rd floor), I decided to put on some lip gloss to look a little more presentable - becuase let me tell you after working a shift at the OG, you don't always look the hottest. As I was getting my lip gloss out of my purse, the lid fell to the floor at my front door. Sitting on my doormat were 2 rose petals. I thought that was a little strange, but just assumed he brought me flowers (he did that a lot for me) and a couple petals had fallen off.

I opened my front door and to my amazement, my apt. was filled with candles and flower petals leading to my room. When I saw that, I just stopped. I was so excited, but all I could think about was - "I AM GETTING PROPOSED TO, WHILE WEARING MY OLIVE GARDEN UNIFORM!!" But I went into my room and there he was ring in hand! He got down on one knee, told me how much he loved me and that he couldn't wait to spend the rest of his life with me and asked ....WILL YOU MARRY ME?!?!! Of course I said yes! We stood there and just hugged for a while and then I started laughing. He asked why I was laughing and I said that I just didn't think I would be wearing my sauce stained OG shirt when he proposed. This is what he said (and this is why I just love him) he said he had thought of that and knew that I would probably have something to say about it, but he proposed to me after work for a reason. Essentially the OG is what brought us together (for a refresher on how we met, read my post from June 5th of this year) and that it was symbollic to propose to me with a nod to the Olive Garden. After that I thought it was so sweet to think of it that way and I love telling how it is part of our proposal story.

So after that I had to call EVERYONE - even though it was 11 at night, I didn't care. Everyone was so excited and happy for us. Especially my dad. He just adores Drew and thinks I am so lucky to have found a man like him. I think I am pretty lucky too. Six years can go by fast, but part of me feels it happened a lifetime ago. We have just been through so much, but we have been through it together and our marriage is so much stronger because of that. And the love, well it is even stronger than it was 6 years ago. I didn't know my heart could be so full from what Drew has given me, shown me and how he has loved me!

Oh and on a side note - He asked if I was surprised by the proposal. In all reality I was, even if a certain soon to be step-daughter of mine broke the secret that he had picked out a ring for me. :o) What can I say, she was an excited 6 year old at the time and wanted me to know that her dad wanted me forever....and she did too!

Comments

Popular Posts