Chef's Frugal Wife - Cranberry Pork Roast

Here is the recipe I tried last week. We have a slow-cooker that needs more use, so I am going to try and make more recipes using it.

This recipe was quick and easy.

This meal took me about 10 minutes of prep in the morning and then maybe 20 minutes when I got home that night. Very easy!

INGREDIENTS

1 boneless rolled pork loin roast (2½ to 3 pounds)
* Pork was on sale at Hy-vee last week for .99 cents a pound

1 can jellied cranberry sauce (16 oz.)
*1.00 at Hy-Vee

1 tsp. dry mustard
*Had on hand, but it is .89 cents at Hy-Vee (Tones Brand)

¼ tsp. ground cloves
*Again had on hand, but is .89 cents at Hy-Vee (Tones)

½ c. sugar
*Had on hand. On sale at Hy-Vee THIS WEEK for $1.68

½ c. cranberry juice
*We always have juice in our house, so I bought cranberry for last week and used some of it for the recipe. $2.00 at Hy-Vee

2 tbsp. cornstarch
*Bought for $1.19 at Hy-Vee - will last a long time I am sure

2 tbsp. cold water

salt to taste


DIRECTIONS

Place pork roast in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mash cranberry sauce; stir in sugar, cranberry juice, mustard and cloves. Pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast and keep warm. Skim fat from juices; measure 2 cups, adding water if necessary, and pour into a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Combine the cornstarch and cold water to make a paste; stir into gravy. Cook and stir until thickened. Season with salt. Serve with sliced pork.

Yield: 4-6 servings

SERVED WITH

Baked Sweet Potatoes
*1.69 for three of them at Hy-vee

Green Beans
*0.49 cents at Hy-Vee

NOTES

My advice would be to buy an extra can of cranberry sauce and mash it up and pour it over the meat once it is done cooking and then bake that in the oven for a few minutes. When I got home the meat was moist and wonderful, but the sauce had turned to a complete liquid and the cranberry flavor was gone. I would have like a little bit of carmelized cranberry on top of the meat. It may be because the meat cooked for over 10 hours and not 6-8. And there was no "slicing" of the pork as the recipe states. It literally fell apart as you picked it up. As you can see from the picture below, it was a little messy.

The gravy was the first time I had ever made gravy and Drew said it turned out really well. It did taste well with the meat. And Jules LOVED the meat. She kept asking for more. Overall it was good, I just was expecting a little bit more with the sauce. The next time I make it I will get an extra jar of cranberry sauce to put on before I serve.




Comments

Popular Posts